Suspect killed in standoff after alleged attempt to break into FBI office in Cincinnati

A suspect was killed Thursday afternoon in an exchange of gunfire with officers after an hours-long standoff in Cincinnati, Ohio, authorities said. Officials said the standoff began after the suspect tried to break into the Cincinnati FBI field office building around 9 a.m. and then led officers on a chase.

The suspect, identified by two police sources as Ricky Shiffer, ended the standoff by shooting at the officers, Ohio State Highway Patrol Lt. Nathan Dennis said at a news conference Thursday evening . Officers returned fire and the suspect died at the scene. No officers were injured in the confrontation.

Authorities gave no indication Thursday of a possible motive for the breach, saying the incident was still under investigation.

But hours before the attack, Shiffer seemed to post on former President Donald Trump’s social media platform “TRUTH Social” to express his desire to kill federal agents. The post has since been removed by site moderators.

The situation unfolded around 9 a.m. when Ohio State Highway Patrol troopers and local law enforcement officers responded to the alleged attempted break-in at the field office from the FBI.

A suspect set off the alarms when he allegedly tried to enter the visitor screening center. The FBI said the individual fled after an immediate response from special agents, prompting law enforcement to close about a mile stretch of a nearby road and issue a warning blocking for residents and businesses in the surrounding area.

According to a statement from the State Highway Patrol, officers located a Ford Crown Victoria on Interstate 71 in Warren County shortly after 9:30 a.m. that matched the description of the suspect’s armed vehicle. The driver ran from the officers and a shot was fired from the car.

Authorities chased the car and the suspect stopped at 9:53 a.m. on Smith Road in Clinton County, where he got out of the car and opened fire. He used his car as a shield and began the confrontation with the officers.

After attempts to negotiate were unsuccessful, officers attempted to arrest him. The suspect fired several shots around 3:42 p.m., and law enforcement returned fire, Dennis said. The suspect died at the scene. The FBI said one of its agents was involved in the exchange of gunfire, saying in a statement that he was “reviewing this officer-involved shooting.”

FBI Director Christopher Wray issued a statement Thursday condemning the violence and threats against the agency.

“The baseless attacks on the integrity of the FBI erode respect for the rule of law and do a great disservice to the men and women who sacrifice so much to protect others,” Wray said. “Violence and threats against law enforcement, including the FBI, are dangerous and should deeply concern all Americans.”

The incident occurred a day after Wray delivered it a warning about violent threats circulating online consequences of this week FBI search at Trump’s Florida residence, Mar-a-Lago.

“This was an appalling attack on law enforcement — my office and I are monitoring the situation as it develops,” Sen. Sherrod Brown also said in a statement. “My thoughts are with all those who were threatened by this attack.”

Trending news

Source link

You May Also Like